Friday, August 24, 2012

Meet Joe Black

A few of my favorite quotes from the movie Meet Joe Black 
William Parrish (Anthony Hopkins) to his daughter Susan (Claire Forlani) about love …

William: “I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate. I want you to <pause> sing with rapture and dance like a dervish.”
Susan: “Oh that’s all.”
William: “Yeah. Be deliriously happy. Or at least leave yourself open to be.”
Susan: “Ok, be deliriously happy. I shall do my utmost.”
William: “I know it’s a cornball thin, but love is passion. Obsession. Someone you can’t live without. I say fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who will love you the same way back. How do you find him? Well, you forget your head and you listen to your heart. … The truth is honey, there’s no sense living your live without this. To make the journey and not fall deply in love. Well, you haven’t lived a life at all. But you have to try, because if you haven’t tried, you haven’t lived.”
Susan: “Bravo”
William: “Oh, you’re tough.”
Susan: “I’m sorry, ok. Give it to me again, the short version this time.”
William: “Stay open, who knows, lightning could strike.”

Another between William Parrish (Anthony Hopkins) and Joe Black (Brad Pitt) who plays death.

Joe: I don't care Bill. I love her.
William: How perfect for you - to take whatever you want because it pleases you. That's not love.
Joe: Then what is it?
William: Some aimless infatuation which, for the moment, you feel like indulging - it's missing everything that matters.
Joe: Which is what?
William: Trust, responsibility, taking the weight for your choices and feelings, and spending the rest of your life living up to them. And above all, not hurting the object of your love.
Joe: So that's what love is according to William Parrish?
William: Multiply it by infinity, and take it to the depth of forever, and you will still have barely a glimpse of what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment