Thursday, September 13, 2012

Microsoft Rocks

I’ve played (worked J) for Microsoft for 15 of the past 21 years starting back in 1991 just after Windows 3.1 came out. At the time there were less than 5000 employees and Microsoft was not by any means a household name. When I was asked where I worked, few people recognized the name Microsoft. Since then Microsoft has had incredible success and incredible swings.

Despite all that I love about Microsoft, I honestly never thought I’d hear myself say Microsoft Rocks when referring to its technology and products. But it truly does!

Today though was the annual company meeting and I’ve seen almost all while I’ve been employed. Each one has its own flavor and I’ve been impressed by many, and was always awed at the thunderous standing ovation Bill Gates would receive.

This year though – this was the most amazing meeting I’ve ever seen by far!

Microsoft may not have the coolest looking products, or a cool name. It may come to the party late sometimes, miss opportunities, and be called a copy-cat. It may be considered a brute and still the 800-pound Gorilla.

I admire what other tech companies have done and their enthusiasm, dedication, and innovation and their people.
But …

No company on the planet has the depth and breadth of products that Microsoft has. You’d have to combine Apple, Google, Oracle, and VMWare and you still wouldn’t have what Microsoft has. Microsoft is striking out on its direction like never before, creating a new paradigm and array of connection like never before. The suite of technology, products, and services are astonishing, not just for what they are, but the people and ideas behind them. Skype, Xbox, Xbox Live, Windows 8, Surface, Outlook.com, Windows Phone, Office, Xbox games and that doesn’t even begin to talk about Enterprise Services and software. It’s all there and it’s all working together like never before. The long awaited seamless transition from tv to computer to laptop to phone to tablet and more is close at hand.

At heart I’m not a tech guy, but I love the people I play with and I love what I do. I am proud to work for Microsoft.

Microsoft Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment