Saturday, February 25, 2012

Meditating with Pink Floyd


Every once in a while I like to lay on the couch, close my eyes, crank up the stereo, and just listen to really good music. Last night was one of those nights. As I lay there listening I had an idea, what if I meditated while doing this?

I decided to try it and sat up into my meditation position on the couch – legs crossed, eyes closed, tall back, hands on my knees, relaxed. Focus on the breathing – and now feel my body.

The next step was to choose some music. I started with some Pink Floyd and from there I tried others - Barrage, Ray Charles, Chris Rea, Seal, Mark Knopfler. The volume was cranked up, well above a conversation level, but not ear-splitting. Enough to feel the music. For me the best music was mostly instrumental and with good, solid bass. My favorites were Sorrow and On the Turning Away by Pink Floyd.

What was really awesome was all the sensations in my body. I could feel the vibration of the low notes coming through the bottom of the couch. I could feel the mid-range and bass notes pulsing from the front speakers into my chest, arms, and face. I could feel the energy in my body following the rhythm of the music, rising, falling, anticipating, cresting almost like an internal dance. And wave after wave after wave of whole body shivers and goosebumps! Top to bottom, left to right, swirls, colors. Through all of this I could easily maintain a focus on my breathe. I’m certain that if I had wanted to choose any meditation style, I could have done that as well I felt so absorbed and aware.

In total I sat for about 90 minutes meditating, breathing, feeling – and one of the most peaceful, dare I say fun, and satisfying meditation experiences I’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment